Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Memories..


Earth, Sat, 090906,08.29 AM

Funny, how a certain object, memento, can throw you back through time..makes you remember about the past, your past, about your life, your love..and any events related to it..

Do you remember the Famous Five, by Enid Blyton? I've read them, maybe almost all of them, ever since I was still in elementary school. I've known their adventures, stories. But they belonged to the past, my past. I haven't meet them for probably 13-14 years. it was not until few days ago, that they suddenly came back. I accidentally found a complete collection of Enid Blyton works on the Internet. I downloaded them, and start reading. Then everything was like the past..It was not the story, it was not them, but it's about reading their adventures. I felt like I was sucked back to that time. I was laying down on my bed, reading, it's the same, just as what usually happened 13 years ago. Suddenly, I feel like I'm in my old house, the house where I stayed the first time I moved to Jakarta, our house..my room, everything feels like the past. I kept reading and reading and all the memories which were connected to the book came back to life. My friends, my friend's book, my childhood crush (^_^, mmm where is she now, I even forget her name), my school's library, the friendly librarian..I can list hundreds of things here..came back to me just because of a book..

You know, some people kept records of what had happened in their past. They collect memorabilia of events that they went through, and kept them as they move along. Some people moved on and never looked back. Erasing the story of their past, throwing away all stuff connected to them. I remember one day, I accompanied my friend to do a moving on ritual. After breaking up with a lover, all the letters, photos were collected and then burned. My friend looking blankly through the flame, as it washes away all the memories, ended with a sigh.

Well, not me. I’m the kind of person who collects memory. I kept them all in two places. One in my mind and another one in some shoe boxes. The one in the box, it usually got accidentally thrown away time after time. Some I hold dearly, some I let go heavily. But I keep them all in my mind, in my brain. In there, there are a lot of similar small boxes, contain a lot of memories. All of them are locked. I don’t have the key. Sometimes I found the key accidentally, the box was opened, and everything flings out. All the stories, events, person, memories. I cannot erase them, they belong to me, they contributed to what I am now. What I have become. They are parts of me...

No comments: